Monday, September 28, 2020

The freedom of the press still furnishes that check upon government which no constitution has ever been able to provide – Chicago Tribune.

Tags Covid

Tag: covid

COVID spitters are grubs, idiots, and lowlife: Gunner

 

Chief Minister Michael Gunner in a statement less than an hour ago announced police powers to impose on-the-spot fines of $5495, and he called alleged offenders grub, idiot, and lowlife. Power and water prices for Territory businesses will be slashed by 50% and mandatory quarantine arrangements will be formalised. New measures will be brought in during a special session of Parliament on Friday, with some Members attending remotely.

Lock down Aboriginal lands but get the rest back to work

The NT is in two parts: The 50% where 70% live and work and the balance held as inalienable land trusts under Federal Government stewardship where most of the remaining 30% live. That is the area where the greatest concern for COVID infection is. These and other lands with the word Aboriginal in their title must be kept under lock down by whatever means, but let some light into the rest, writes Graeme Hockey of Bayview, an NT resident since 1977.

Tennant Creek's a party town, but the cost is high

Three hosts will have to add $1,099 each to the cost of their bash.

Ask Pine Gap for help to stop breach of COVID rules: Lambley

MLA for Araluen Robyn Lambley (pictured) says the space base has "geo surveillance" facilities that can detect people breaching mandatory quarantine by going to biosecurity designated areas on remote bush tracks, avoiding police roadblocks. EXCLUSIVE by ERWIN CHLANDA.

 

UPDATE 11.30am April 11 Mrs Lambley says the Police Commissioner responded saying that essentially they have this problem under control and it is not a big as what people say.mHe did not comment on the idea of working with Pine Gap to provide more comprehensive surveillance.

NT support for business, householders now reaches $300m

 

 

Chief Minister Michael Gunner (pictured) announces initiatives on payroll and utilities, urges council to drop rates, mandates longer periods of negotiation between tenants and landlords and fairer terms so that businesses and households can get through the coronavirus crisis.

COVID-19 form targets wrong risk group: Cattlemen

 

The NT Government as part of its Covid-19 strategy is requiring some pastoralists to have a form to travel on their own properties, while people are bypassing police checkpoints, including by traveling along the rail corridor, to reach major towns, writes Ashley Manicaros (pictured), CEO, Northern Territory Cattlemen’s Association.

Public cut off from MacDonnell national parks

 

West and East MacDonnell national parks are in effect cut off from visitors as The Centre's iconic cool weather approaches, and purpose of the COVID-19 facility on the Ross Highway is explained. ERWIN CHLANDA reports.

 

UPDATE April 9, 1.15pm

South Australian parks are open for locals to visit.

 

UPDATE April 10 at 11am Some areas in the East MacDonnells near Ross River are open.

 

UPDATE April 12 at 12.30pm: Simpsons Gap national park is open.

Government transparency is still essential

 

 

The seriousness of the COVID crisis doesn’t give the Government a licence to cut corners with Territory taxpayers’ money, writes Opposition Leader Lia Finocchiaro (pictured).

Government to pay for remote residents' COVID isolation

 

 

The NT Government will pay for the 14 day quarantine – likely to be at a hotel – required by people from remote areas returning to their communities. Independent Member for Araluen Robyn Lambley says she was told this by Police Commissioner Jamie Chalker during a briefing this morning. Meanwhile cops at bottleshops were alerted to the $750 "hardship payment" due today.  ERWIN CHLANDA reports.

- Advertisment -

Most Read

Zachary Rolfe: is there a case to answer?

By KIERAN FINNANE The shooting of Kumanjayi Walker was “justifiable defensive conduct” on the part of Constable Zachary Rolfe, the Alice Springs Local Court heard...

CAAMA’s financial problems deepen

CAAMA’s major funding bodies are demanding $800,000 from the Aboriginal broadcaster because it has contravened the terms of its funding agreements. This has compounded debts...

Cut Federal funds to bring NT in line on debt: Sam McMahon

By ERWIN CHLANDA CLP Senator Sam McMahon says the way to rein in the Territory’s massive debt may need to be a cut to funding...

Students to strike over gas policies

By ERWIN CHLANDA Students and others will stage a demonstration at the Welcome to Alice Springs sign on the South Stuart Highway at 8.45am tomorrow...