People under the illusion that our regulatory authorities would finally provide justice in the Frampton New Homes scandal, now have their answer. As no further legal action is under way – so far as we know – the story can be told. ERWIN CHLANDA reports. PHOTO: The Alice Springs Newsfront page photo on March 18, 2010. Mrs Abboot was pregnant at the time and they now have six children. They were forced to sell the house.
Discount given for cooperation with authorities on further enquiries
Randal Carey, the builder in the failed Frampton New Homes scheme, was sentenced this morning to three years in gaol, to be suspended after 12 months. Mr Carey, who has been in custody since last Tuesday, did not show any visible emotion as guards led him away. He appeared to have no friends or family in court. His lawyer was appearing by video link from Darwin and said he would talk his client through the sentence by phone. KIERAN FINNANE reports. Photo: Victims of the scheme, Amanda and Trent Abbott, and the youngest two of their six children, Ruby, 2, and Ashton, 4, were in court this morning.
Framptons First National real estate agency received a "secret commission", the "lion's share" out of the first instalments paid by Alice Springs home buyers in a scheme which had Randal Carey as the builder, said Mr Carey's lawyer Peter Maley (pictured) in the Supreme Court this morning. KIERAN FINNANE reports.
UPDATE, 14 May 2013, 3.51pm:Mr Carey has been remanded for sentencing until next Tuesday, May 21. See FULL STORY.
The chair and founder of the Desert Sports Foundation, Murray Stewart (pictured), says Framptons Real Estate principal Andrew Doyle had withdrawn two teams from his company from a children's charity event.
Mr Stewart says he had a call from one of Mr Doyle's staff this morning saying Mr Doyle did not wish to "give money to Murray's charity".
The exchange followed the publication yesterday of a comment by Mr Stewart and his wife, Brigida, on a story in the current Alice Springs News Online edition.
Mr and Mrs Stewart expressed support for the News following this week's Supreme Court decision in a defamation case brought by the other Framptons principal, David Forrest.
Mr Stewart says Mr Doyle phoned him yesterday, expressing his annoyance over the Stewarts' comment.
Mr Stewart says after the cancellation today of the Frampton teams' participation he left a message for Mr Doyle about the matter but did not receive a response.
When asked by the Alice Springs News for a comment Mr Doyle emailed today: "It’s not true, publish at your own peril" and later provided a further comment.
We put this to Mr Stewart and he has subsequently spoken to Mr Doyle.
Of that phone call Mr Stewart says: "He said, with great clarity, 'following the phone call I had with you yesterday, I'm not prepared to spend David Forrest's money on that'." ERWIN CHLANDA reports.