Friday, May 14, 2021

The freedom of the press still furnishes that check upon government which no constitution has ever been able to provide – Chicago Tribune.

Tags Rape

Tag: rape

Impu to spend at least 14 years in prison

p2159-Bruce-Impu-SM

 
 

Bruce Impu (pictured), who pleaded guilty to eight counts of rape at gunpoint of two European tourists in Alice Springs in 2012, was today sentenced to 15 years with 12 year non-parole period. ERWIN CHLANDA reports.

 

What he said about the rape, murder of which he was convicted

Picture taken 2012

 

 

The Central Land Council says in an obituary about a former chairman, Kwementyaye Stuart (pictured), that "he always maintained he did not commit" the rape and murder of nine-year-old Mary Hattam near Ceduna in December 1958. This is incorrect. ERWIN CHLANDA reports.

 

Police seek suspect in attempted rape

 

 

Police in Alice Springs have a released a comfit image of a man, following the attempted sexual assault in Alice Springs on Sunday night.

Terrifying ordeal at gunpoint: multiple rapes of European tourists, one suspect still unidentified

MODIFIED September 26, 2013, 11.05am: Earlier suppression orders in this case were formally lifted today. The names of two of the three offenders are now part of this report. A photo has been added and minor details updated.

 

WARNING: Some readers may find the article distressing.

 

“I told her she would be safe.” This was all AN could think about when she was woken in the early hours of May 2, 2012, to the sound of banging on her car and male voices shouting, “Come out, you pussy.” She wanted to protect her friend but she had no chance. One of the men was armed and he pointed the rifle straight at her head. The Australian holiday of two young women, from Germany and Finland, was about to turn into a nightmare. KIERAN FINNANE reports.

Pictured: The cul-de-sac at the end of Maconochie Road where the tourists had parked their car to sleep overnight.

Young men plead guilty to multiple rapes of international tourists

MODIFIED 5.10pm: Although no suppression order was sought today, the Alice Springs News Online has just been informed that an earlier order with respect to the offenders' names may still be in force. Until this is clarified we are removing their names from our report.

 

Two young men this morning pleaded guilty in the Supreme Court in Alice Springs to eight counts of sexual intercourse without consent with two international tourists on May 2 last year, as well as one count of robbery. The young women, one from Germany, the other from Finland, were asleep in their car in a suburban street in Alice when the assaults began shortly before 3am. A third Aboriginal male was involved but has never been arrested for want of evidence against him. The victims have been unable to identify him; there was no DNA evidence related to him; and the perpetrators have not assisted the police to identify him. KIERAN FINNANE reports, with more to follow later today.

PHOTO: The location of the rapes in Maconochie Road, near the casino.

Alice singled out in German Foreign Office travel warning

 

 

 

The website of the German Foreign Office singles out Alice Springs as Australia's only location mentioned in the chapter dealing with crime (Kriminalitaet) in its general travel advice (Allgemeine Reiseinformationen). ERWIN CHLANDA reports.

Safe spaces

After travelling alone overseas, including in southern Morocco, ESTELLE ROBERTS
returned to Alice, grateful for its relative safety. Her confidence has
been undermined by a near miss with an intruder and after learning of
the brutal rape of a local woman who had left a party that Estelle would
have gone to had she been here. Pictured: Sunset off
Morocco's Atlantic coastline – beautiful, but hard to appreciate when
you're being hassled by local men with their stereotyped ideas of
western women. Returning to Alice was a relief ... at first.

- Advertisment -

Most Read

50 years of netball in The Alice

By STEVE MENZIES There will be a certain off-court focus for the KFC Alice Springs Netball Association this weekend. This is despite the feature match of...

Covid shrank Totem from small to tiny: Now the crowd’s back.

By OSCAR PERRI The tiny Totem theatre, squeezed into a tin shed dating back to WWII, is breathing a sigh of relief: Last year's Covid...

Road upgrades, and not much else for The Centre

By OSCAR PERRI Yesterday’s Federal Budget promises little change for the lives of Central Australians aside from a continuation of upgrade work on the Stuart...

NT Government closes Aboriginal school on ‘false information’

By JULIUS DENNIS The spokesperson for the Yipirinya School board elected at its AGM in November 2020 says “the board was dissolved because of false...