The entire Alice Springs water control district – an area of 8200 square kilometres around the town – should remain off limits to fracking. This will be the Town Council's submission on fracking “no go zones”. Meanwhile, Cr Jacinta Price has returned to council, after her failed bid to enter federal politics, but did not attend last night's meeting. KIERAN FINNANE reports.
All Code of Conduct complaints against Councillor Catherine Satour have been dismissed and she wants the complainants "held to account". She has not named them, but Jacinta Price, who last night resigned as councillor, appears to confirm they are associated with her. Ms Price is a candidate in the upcoming federal election. KIERAN FINNANE reports.
Complaints must first be made to the relevant council: Proposed changes to the Local Government Act. ERWIN CHLANDA reports. PHOTO: The 13th Council during its inauguration in 2017: The smiles faded this year over code of conduct allegations.
Councillor Jimmy Cocking (pictured) is speaking out about a code of conduct process on which there are finally some findings. It dates back to an event in January this year, has been conducted in secrecy, into allegations not publicly disclosed, made by a person still unknown and investigated by a government appointed committee whose membership has been kept secret. ERWIN CHLANDA reports.
UPDATE 5.28pm: Department answers questions from the Alice Springs News Online – well, some of them.
A clandestine process has plunged the Town Council into a state of near dysfunction, and the nine elected members, far from representing the town in an atmosphere of collaboration and openness, are in the shadows of distrust and fear of financially crippling litigation. Yet the Minister responsible for local government, Gerry McCarthy (pictured), is not available to give answers. ERWIN CHLANDA reports. PHOTO: Mr McCarthy with a public housing tenant during a media event on September 12 when he neither ruled out nor confirmed that the NT Government would compulsorily acquire Anzac Oval.
The Mayor and the CEO, far from helping council to move on, have introduced new levels of scrutiny at a time when three councillors are already feeling under demoralising pressure from Codes of Conduct complaints. They also allowed last week’s civic reception of the Prime Minister to be politicised, giving over its organisation, including invitation list, to Senator Nigel Scullion in tandem with Cr Jacinta Price, while council picked up the tab. KIERAN FINNANE reports.
UPDATE, 2.30pm, 15 August 2018: Catering cost and invitation list, including some media, excluding others.
UPDATE, 2.30pm, 16 August 2018:The media section of the Office of the Prime Minister expressed regret to have inadvertently omitted our email address from its media alert.
Multiple allegations against him have been either rejected or dismissed, he told council in a prepared statement. Alleging "an abuse of process", he said the strategy of issuing Code of Conduct complaints "may not have been done in isolation". However, he would neither confirm or deny that actions had been taken involving other councillors. KIERAN FINNANE reports.
UPDATE, 11.26am 1 August 2018: CEO provides further comment.